Athlete Q&A – Lee Jones, Rugby Player

Lee Jones – Rugby Player
BEng Mechanical Engineering

Lee JonesHow did you get started in rugby?
I was introduced to rugby in primary school aged seven, in my home town for Selkirk mini rugby. I continued to play through high school on the local u18 team and then onto the senior side. I represented Scotland at u18A/u19/u20/club international/sevens throughout this time before turning professional for Edinburgh Rugby in 2010. It was during this year I attended the games in Delhi competing in rugby 7s with Team Scotland.

What has been the biggest support to your rugby career?
My family, my home club Selkirk RFC, and many of my coaches. Heriot-Watt provided support during my time at university through the scholarship programme leading to my professional contract. At the Sport & Exercise Centre I accessed strength and conditioning, physio/ nutritional support and equipment.

How do you prepare for major events like the Commonwealth Games?
The competition is very similar to the IRB sevens World Series which the Scotland 7s compete in regularly. Preparation was no different although there was a slight focus on the change in climate. We attended a training camp 1 year before the games to gather important data related to our performance and support. Team Scotland camps in the run up also let us know what to expect in a games environment.

Lee Jones
How does it feel to be part of such a major sporting event in Scotland?
As I am involved with Edinburgh rugby in the 15s game I am not sure if I will be involved in the 2014 games. This is something that would become apparent much closer to the time. Having been involved before though it was an honour to represent Scotland especially in the wider sense of ‘Team Scotland’ and be part of something much bigger than just the rugby team.

What was your time at Heriot-Watt like?
I spent five years at Heriot Watt studying BEng Mechanical Engineering, graduating in 2011.
The university helped to balance my studies with professional rugby as I split my 4th year across two. I sat two exams in South Africa with the help of the university and the scholarship programme.

This entry was posted in Alumni Magazine, Alumni News, Engineering & Physical Sciences, Heriot-Watt Sport and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.