Graduate Profile – Property Valuator & Author, L.L.Otto

L.L. Otto
MBA 2001
Property Valuator at Otto & Company & Author of The Tsar’s Guard

Iles otto am a Canadian, living and working in London, Ontario. Our family was originally from the west coast, near Vancouver, BC. I own and operate a property valuation firm, one of the larger ones in Southwestern Ontario, and have done so for over 20 years.

In 1997-98, I at was at a place in my career where I was undecided about my future. After some basic research and soul-searching, I decided an MBA would be an asset, should I decide to choose another career path. At that time, Heriot-Watt was the only distance learning MBA program that had credibility, which I later discovered easily held its own against all of Canada’s best on-campus programs. The course of studies I completed on my own, not really having any benchmarks or peer assistance. But it was the most knowledge filled intelligence boost I had even encountered.

After graduation I decided to continue with my valuation company, which at that time was very small. Given the knowledge from the MBA program I was provided with the tools to grow the firm to one of the largest in the region.

tsar
Now, I find I have more free time owning to my wonderful & competent staff, which allows me to indulge in my hobbies, such as writing historical fiction. The Tsar’s Guard – Trust & Honour, is the first of several in that series, with the second installment due out later this year (Tsar’s Guard – Black Mark), and the next in mid-2015.

For more than two hundred years, the Tsar’s private and elite soldiers have been the core of order and stability in civilized Russia. The Imperial Life Guards were formed in 1690, and their reputation is legendary.

In southern Ukraine in the 1850s, however, the historic canvas of decay and poisonous alliances are weakening traditional monarchies and governments. Political unrest abounds, and medieval processes are giving way to contemporary acts of insurrection, greed and disloyalty.

The Tsar’s Guard is the compelling story of a boy’s coming-of-age journey in mid-nineteenth-century Russia as he attempts to fulfill his dream of becoming one of the Tsar’s trusted Imperial Life Guards.

For future grads I would say follow your dreams but do not become locked into one path. The world will throw you many curves to which you must adapt. The course itself will not guarantee your success or better pay, that is something you must earn, something you must lobby for, and apply yourself to. But it will come – HW and its MBA program prepared me for that and far more.

This entry was posted in Alumni News, Edinburgh Business School, Graduate Profile and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.